Philos (love) + Sophia (wisdom) = Philosophy (love of wisdom)
My college philosophy professor said it well:
Philosophy isn’t about the answers.
Good philosophy asks good QUESTIONS.
[School of Athens fresco by Raphael, 1511]
Philosophy = thinking about the “Big Questions” in life, such as:
- What can actually be known for certain?
- What is the nature of reality?
- What is everything made of?
- Do we have free will?
- What is the meaning of life?
- Is there any such thing as right and wrong?
- What is time? Is it constant?
- What is love? freedom? beauty?
- Is there a God?
- Is there life after death?
- Can machines think? Do animals feel?
- What is a good life? What is happiness?
The fun of philosophy is THINKING, and discussing your thoughts with others.
Since most philosophical questions cannot be answered with any real certainty, they are open to debate. This makes them excellent fodder for anyone who enjoys a good mental challenge or a lively oral debate.
Reading the arguments presented by philosophers from ancient Greece to the current decade can be both enlightening and entertaining.
Which of the following branches of philosophy most appeal to YOU?
- metaphysics: What is the nature of reality?
- epistemology: How do we know?
- ethics: What is good or right?
- aesthetics: What is beauty?
- logic: What makes a good argument?
- philosophy of science
- political philosophy
- applied philosophy
Of course, I DO have a Great Courses to recommend — Big Questions of Philosophy. 😀
More Online Philosophy Resources:
SkilledUp — links to courses
Khan Academy – History of Philosophy
History of Philosophy – Podcasts
Encyclopedia of Philosophy
The Partially Examined Life
WHY study philosophy?
Thank you for visiting my P.A.G.E.!
If you like my work and would like to see more, there are links to many of my public websites as well as my contact information on my Gravatar page. And if you want to encourage me, you can become a Patron! :O>
You can also support this site and encourage me to add new resources to it, by clicking any of the Amazon ads (such as the ones above or below) whenever you want to buy something on Amazon.com. A small percentage of anything you purchase there will find its way back to me, giving me a little love and encouragement. THANKS! 😀